November Adoption Month

adopted kids holding adoptive parents hands

adopted kids holding adoptive parents hands

Adoption is a process where a person or family is are wanting to give a home to a child. Adoption is for children under 18 years of age who don’t have a home or place to be, so then people are willing to take them in. There are people that want kids but can’t so they adopt.

Adoption ranges from infants to teens. Parents of all sorts are willing to give a child a home they desire. In some cases, the biological parents aren’t suitable enough to have that child in their care. There are parents that are willing to give their child up for adoption, but on the other hand the state is allowed to take the child out of their parents’ care if they think it’s not safe in the household. So there are families that are fit and are wanting to adopt so then they are able to take them in for their wellbeing.

International adoption- is also referred to as intercountry adoption or transnational adoption in which an individual or couple becomes the legal and permanent parents of a child who is a national of a different country.

  1. Choose a Country to Adopt From.
  2. Choose a Kansas International Adoption Professional.
  3. Complete Your International Adoption Home Study.
  4. Apply to Be Eligible for Adoption.
  5. Apply for the Child to be Eligible for Adoption.
  6. Travel and Return.

Foster care adoption- is the adoption of a child in foster care whose biological parents’ rights are terminated by the court. The child may be adopted by foster parents or adoptive parents. 

  1. Complete an inquiry form on the Foster Kansas Kids’ website. A Foster Kansas Kids representative will contact you to answer your questions and help you get started.
  2. Complete a TIPS-MAPP training course. The Trauma Informed Partnering for Safety and Permanence Model Approach to Partnerships in Parenting (TIPS-MAPP) course is designed to help you make an informed decision about becoming foster parents.
  3. Select a Child Placing Agency (CPA) to sponsor your foster home. There are many agencies throughout the state of Kansas that can support your family and the children in need of care. Foster Kansas Kids will help you select the agency that best meets your needs and the needs of the child or children you’re interested in fostering.
  4. Get licensed through DCFs Foster Care and Residential Licensing Division. In order to complete licensing of your home, and in addition to completion of TIPS-MAPP, you will need to complete training in First Aid, Medication Administration and Universal Precautions.

Private adoption- refers to an adoption which adoptive parents adopt a child they already know or adopt through an individual birth mother and don’t have to go through an adoption agency to acquire an adoptive child.